Wednesday, July 24, 2013

MS and driving

The other day I was driving and realized my mind was not working right. I was thankful to be in our small town and almost home but it was scary nonetheless. I should not have been driving! Things that used to be 'no brainers' were now suddenly taking a lot of thought and were confusing to me. As far as I can remember, the other day was the first time my brain confusion impaired my ability to drive. Is this a sign of things to come or was it an isolated incident? Time will tell.

Usually if I cannot drive it's because I am too weak to continuously push the gas pedal. Cruise control is a blessing on road trips but city driving is physically exhausting for me and often times physically impossible. And then of course in this current "pseudo exacerbation" it was hard to drive at first because my right side was not working properly. It has since let up a little and driving is easier ... unless my brain is mixed up of course!

I probably have many years of driving ahead of me, but maybe I do not? Oh well, thankfully I have support and do not really like to drive anyway. You know, now that I think of it, the last few years have been hard on me. I thought I was getting confused in bigger cities because I moved to a small town. But now that I think about it, it's probably MS. I've lived in big cities my whole life and never had a problem navigating even the worst of situations. Now I probably make big city people mad because I drive slower because I have to think more.

Be merciful to the slow driver in front of you. You never know but maybe they are just doing the best they can?

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to eliminate spam, comments are moderated. It might take a while for me to see your comment, so please be patient with me. Thank you.