Saturday, August 24, 2013

MS and cognitive issues

My most hated symptom BY FAR is cognitive issues. My short term memory is pathetic. It is very hard to make decisions and process information. It's like my brain is in slow motion. Problem solving is a real trial. Being in a crowd with lots of things going on around me is chaos to the extreme. Concentration is poor. The list goes on and on.

I used to be a fast typist. Really fast. Now I am so slow it's frustrating. It's like going from super high speed internet to dial up ... or worse. I can use that same analogy for my slow-motion brain too. Dial up speed.

I also have issues with spelling. I used to be an "A Student" when it came to spelling. Now I mess up the simplest of words. I usually, eventually, catch the mistakes but it takes a while sometimes of staring at the word and thinking "now that's just not right" ... and sometimes it's so obviously wrong that I just have to laugh at myself.

Example: I just spelled "speed" "sepped". At least it has the same letters. Often times half or all of the letters are not even supposed to be in the word I am trying to spell.

If anyone reads this and has suggestions on how I can help my cognitive issues, please share. I have been making schedules to help keep me on track, but the problem is I often do not feel good enough to follow the schedule so it's all in vain anyway. I take lots of notes but forget where I put them. I rely on my cell phone calendar a lot. This is the only consistent thing that seems to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to eliminate spam, comments are moderated. It might take a while for me to see your comment, so please be patient with me. Thank you.