Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Changes.

When I first started having problems, I was so used to being fit and capable that it was really hard for me to manage "the new me." However, over time as the symptoms progressed I naturally adapted. Because I am hoping to see a neurologist soon, I've been paying attention to how I manage things with the hopes of better explaining my life to him/her. Little things that I didn't even realize I was doing have been coming to my attention. Here are a few examples.

I have a lot of problems with balance. I used to be a pro in the kitchen (literally), however MS has stopped that. As things have been progressing, my duties in the kitchen have become less and less. When I am in the kitchen, however, I recently noticed that I lean against the counters for support. If I need to bend over to get something out of a lower cabinet, I hold on to the counter while bending. When I'm at the stove, I hold on to the over door handle. I never stand or walk unassisted. When did I start doing this? No clue. But that's what I do all the time without thinking. 

I have a big problem walking down stairs or walking on uneven surfaces. Recently I noticed how I walk down the stairs: I hold on for dear life and spend all of my brain energy making sure my feet and legs are doing what they should be doing. This attention was definitely heightened when I sprained my ankle because of these issues. I no longer carry anything down the stairs, but am comfortable enough carrying some things up the stairs.

For the uneven surfaces, like say walking to the pasture or barn, I use a walking stick. This helps tremendously.

My right side is very weak. I noticed I lift up my right thigh to clear my right foot (so it does not drag on the ground and cause me to trip). This gets worse and worse as the day goes on, which causes my left side to start hurting from the extra weight. This is amplified even more when I sprained my left ankle. It sure would have been convenient if it were my right ankle (the bad side) instead of the left (the good side)!! This has prolonged the healing of the sprain. 6 months after the fact and it's still in pain and often visibly swollen.

Along with my right side weakness - I've noticed that when going up the stairs I do this "step, clunk, step, clunk, step, clunk" thing. I automatically put as little weight as possible on the right leg and then kind of hop up as quick as I can on to my left (that's where the "clunk" comes in). At the same time, I use my hands on either side to help pull me up.

There are other things too, but that's all I have time for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to eliminate spam, comments are moderated. It might take a while for me to see your comment, so please be patient with me. Thank you.